Tuesday, June 26, 2012

South Branch Oromocto Falls/Ragged Ass Falls

Beautiful! It is located between Hoyt and Welsford and was the first of the three waterfalls we visited on Victoria day Monday.

To get here you take highway 101 from Fredericton heading towards Welsford continuing past the Fredericton Junction until you reach the Sand Brook Road. Follow this road and eventually it turns into a rough dirt road. If you drive down the dirt road just for a minute you will see a clearing where you can park your car on the left and an old logging road with a torn down chain to your right. Take the logging road. After a fairly short walk up we arrived at the top of a cliffside, overlooking the falls. Situated here was a cross (I don't know the story but I can only imagine someone tried to cliff jump?).

After taking in the breathtaking view from the top we continued down the steep path towards the bottom. The falls was amazing but unfortunately it was hard to get a good shot. I would recommend visiting this falls after a heavy rainfall. It's much more spectacular as I revisited this falls a couple weeks later and although still beautiful it was lacking the water volume that made it so impressive.

South Branch Oromocto Falls
When we visited there was a couple local kids there climbing the sides of the rocks to get closer to the falls. I had a difficult time trying to shoot pictures from shore because they kept popping in the way of my shots. In the end i got a couple and decided to climb the sides of the rocks to get closer too. This is very doable in my opinion since I managed to make it without falling in the water and I'm practically a midget at 5'1" (I left my camera on shore just in case hence the lack of photos).

I decided to put Ragged Ass Falls in the same blog entry due to the lack of photos I got since we were running out of time for our full waterfall chasing agenda. (South Branch was so awesome we stayed a little too long). It's also extremely close to South Branch Oromocto Falls. Id recommend walking from where you parked your car for South Branch Oromocto Falls unless you have a car you don't care about or a truck. The dirt road is in pretty rough shape in some parts and although we did drive a bit of it (we didn't know what condition it was going to be in) we ended up randomly parking the car along the side of the dirt road and walking the rest of the way. It's a bit harder to find this waterfall without a gps. I had the gps coordinates plugged into my iPhone but basically you will come upon a clearing where you can park and then you follow the brook upstream until you reach the waterfall. I need to go back here sometime and try to snap some better photos. The terrain was steep around the falls and Amy wore her flip flops here because she soaked her sneakers at the previous falls so we were unable to climb up to get better photos and a better shot. You can find the coordinates of all these waterfalls at the waterfalls nb website.

Ragged Ass Falls



No comments: